Friday, August 29, 2008

Happy Birthday Michael

Happy Birthday to Michael Jackson - he is turning 50 years old! I can't think of another individual who has had so much awe and mystery around his life. I remember as a little girl watching the Jackson 5. I purchased the record "ABC" and would listen to it over and over. All I wanted to do was sing and dance like Michael. Of course I sounded like him when I was in the car with the radio turned up.

I was dating my husband at the time "Thriller" debuted on MTV in 1982. Being a makeup artist I studied everthing about the "mummies". It parts my hair to think about how long it would have taken to get Michael and his scarey crew prepared for filming. Did you know that Thriller had its 25th anniversay this year? To celebrate, a friend and I worked up our version of a Thriller routine and performed it with the Kentucky Derby Festival Princesses at the Fillies 50th Anniversary Ball this past April. Yes we were up on stage in our gowns trying to be little Michaels. It took the crowd by surprise but they enjoyed watching us make fools of ourselves. Actually I think it was quite fun and hip. Michael would have been proud of us.

I'll never forget being at a neighbors house playing Bunco and watching Michael plant a wet one on his then wife, Lisa Marie Presley at the 1994 (?)MTV music awards. I think Elvis had to be turning in his grave that night.

Michael has had a colorful 50 years full of controvery. I'm amazed he has made it to 50 years old. My husband turned 50 this past December and was mailed his AARP card. Do you think Michael has received his?

I choose to remember Michael as the guy in his early 20's singing "Billy Jean" and "Beat It". Yes I own the 25th anniversay Thriller CD and love it. Excuse me now while I moon walk my way to my desk and resume working. Thank you for taking this Michael moment with me. I think I'll have to have a piece of cake in his honor today. Enjoy your day!
Joyfully,
Chris

No comments: