Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Volunteer - It's Healthy

This morning I was reading in Jack Canfields The Success Principles about finding ways to serve. Since I was a professional volunteer for the 13 years I was home raising my daughters and still find myself serving on several committee's, I almost skipped this chapter. Instead I thought I would skim through the chapter and boy am I glad I did.

Jack Canfield says "research on volunteerism shows that people who volunteer live longer, have stronger immune systems, have fewer heart attacks, recover from heart attacks faster, have higher self-esteem, and have a deeper sense of meaning and purpose than those who don't volunteer". I should be in exceptional health. I still find myself working on several committee's and frankly at times I start to resent all that I have agreed to do. I always volunteer for positions I know I can do, enjoy to do and want to do - but then it takes so much time away from my real job that I get resentful. Reading this was perfect timing. We all need to be reminded of the importance of service. Just be sure to devote time to those causes and groups that are most important to you. I am very passionate about the Fillies, Woman Club, AICI Atlanta Chapter, Dress for Success and especially the Dazzler Booster Club.

What are you passionate enough to spend some time to be of service? It's good for your health and you'll have a great time while serving. The world responds more positively to givers than to takers. Take your talents and go out and shine. Enjoy your day.
Joyfully,
Chris

No comments: