Monday, May 11, 2009

Pack It All In

For Mother's Day, I spent the weekend in Indianapolis shopping and eating (my two favorite activities) with my two daughters. Going for a weekend doesn't require a lot of packing, but as I unpack, I find myself transferring to another suitcase - my extra large, pink, you can see me coming from a mile away, suitcase. I am leaving for the AICI Conference on Wednesday. AICI is the Association of Image Consutlants International. Can you image being in one hotel with Image Consultants from 26 other countries? It is exciting but gives an entirely new meaning to "what will I wear"?

At some point this summer I'm sure you will be packing for business or pleasure. Here are a few of my travel tips:

1. I started putting outfits together a week ago. You might not need a week but don't think you can begin packing at 11:00pm for a 7:00am flight. Doing this is like going to the grocery store hungry - you'll throw anything in the suitcase "just in case". Not only have I planned my outfits but had my manicure, pedicure, botox, tan, and will have my hair colored tomorrow. I know I sound high maintence - but it's all these little things that add up to one happy, confident, traveler.

2. In the perfect world, you would choose a "color of the week". This minimizes the amount of shoes, handbags, and jewelry needed to pack. Rotate pants, jackets and skirts. Try on all the outfits to make sure you still love them and they still fit. Darker colors are easier to dress up and down - such as the little black dress or black suit.

3. Once I decide what it is I want to wear, I take a look at my schedule and write down what outfit I am wearing on each day. Perfect planning makes perfect. I can get up each morning at conference and not have to think about what I'm going to wear and why I packed a piece of clothing. Visually going through the week keeps me from forgetting to pack something and keeps me from packing too much. Check all garments for loose buttons etc. This eliminates any surprises when getting dressed in the hotel room such as a missing button.

4. Once I have my game plan, I like to lay everything flat in my suitcase. I find there is less wrinkling when I do this. You could also roll your clothing if you prefer. Pack shoes in seperate plastic bags. If you are a frequent traveler you will want to have duplicate makeup and skin care products in travel size bottles in leak proof bags. I pack only costume jewelry in a jewelry pouch. A friend gave me a lingerie bag years ago for my birthday - love it! Keeps lingerie together and free of snags.

People don't dress up anymore while flying so I like to wear something comfortable yet stylish. If you need anything such as directions, help with luggage, a taxi, or a door held for you, you don't even have to ask if you stand out above the crowd.

Don't forget to pack your wardrobe plan. Pack something for extreme weather and you'll have yourself a worry free trip.

I'm looking forward to seeing all my AICI friends from around the country. I'll tell you all about it next week. Have a wonderful week.

Joyfully,
Chris

1 comment:

Lisa Tener said...

Deep down inside, I've always felt funny about the way I put my shoes right in with the clothes when I pack a suitcase. I've seen the light. Plastic bags it is.