Monday, August 2, 2010

Affirmations

 I've always believed in magic.  When I wasn't doing anything in this town, I'd go up every night, sit on Mulholland Drive, look out at the city, stretch out my arms and say, "Everybody wants to work with me.  I'm a really good actor.  I have all kinds of great movie offers."  I'd just repeat these things over and over, literally convincing myself that I had a couple of movies lined up.  I'd drive down that hill ready to take the world on, going, "Movie offers are out there for me, I just don't hear them yet."  It was like total affirmations, antidotes to the stuff that stems from my family background. 

Jim Carrey - Actor

I'm a firm believer in affirmations.  Affirmations bombard your subconscious mind with new thoughts and images.  An affirmation is a statement that describes a goal in its already completed state.  Repeat affirmations three times a day, out loud, and at least once while looking at yourself in the mirror.

There is a very simple way to create your own affirmations. 
  1. Start with the word I am.
  2. Describe what you want as though you already have it.  Only use present tense.
  3. Affirm what you want, not what you don't want.  Keep it positive.
  4. Be specific.
Once you have written your affirmations, there is one more step - visualization.  You have to visualize what you have written.  See what you want as if it has already happened.  If you want a new car, see the world from inside the car as you are driving it.  Hear the sound of the car, feel how it drives, smell the new interior.  Include other people congratulating you on your new car.

My affirmations change as my needs and wants change.  Here are a few of my favorites:
  • I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
  • I am happy, healthy, and living my dream.
  • I only eat healthy foods and drink healthy drinks.
  • Something wonderful is happening today - I can feel it.
  • I am celebrating feeling light, alive, and beautiful at my perfect body weight of _____.
  • I have lots of energy and enthusiasm for life.
Start with just a few affirmations and continue to repeat them for a minimum of 30 days.  Let me know how it works for you.

Joyfully,

Chris

No comments: