Sunday, January 4, 2009

Healthy Goals

This time of year a lot of individuals vow to lose weight and get in better shape. In writing my story for The Voice Tribune's Grand Glam Makeover I discovered a lot has changed over the years in food and fitness.

The height and weight charts of the 1950's are no longer an indicator of our health. Now, fitness is assessed by your body composition, cardio, muscle tone, and flexibility. It's not about a "magic number" on the scale.

Robert Kipp, personal trainer for Physique Institute at Louisville Athletic Club, had a lot of great tips for my makeover winner - Ginny Costello. You can read them in this Thursdays edition of The Voice Tribune. Here are a few of my favorites:

* There is no secret to being healthy - do what healthy people do.
* Flush the junk out of your system with an Eat Clean Diet.
* Make yourself a priority. Most individuals waste 15-17 hours a week on television. It's not selfish to take care of yourself. It sends a positive message to our next generation.
* Have realistic expectations.

Let me know if you have started a new fitness program or diet and how it is working for you. I know it's challenging to incorporate new habits but you can do it. As Nike says "Just Do It."

Happy New Year!
Enjoy.
Chris

1 comment:

Lisa Tener said...

I signed up for two fitness classes a week: NIA (dance) and svaroopa yoga. This is a first for me--the most I've ever done is one.
It felt so great to dance for an hour yesterday. Unfortunately we have an ice storm today, so I missed yoga--I know the challenge will be to keep to this commitment. Even though I prepaid, last year I missed quite a few yoga classes as my book coaching business boomed. I have to remind myself that the self-care is critical to being able to do all the rest! It's so easy for me to put fitness last.
I know one secret is to do the fitness first, but with a two year old and eight year old, I just don't find that possible. Any suggestions for accountability and success with my new commitment?